Thursday 15 September 2011

Kristin Oftedal



I was thrilled when my badges came in the post from Kristin Oftedal in Oslo! I love her artwork, especially because it portrays that relationship between animals and humankind that holds me captivated so.

Raven Girl

The girls on the badges are so beguiling and fairytale-like with clandestine expressions. I try and imagine what these characters would be like. And I love the soft touches her pencil brings, especially to the bear cub, below. It might just be that she draws all my favourite animals: bears, cats, birds and deer, alongside their feminine counterparts.


Bear Cub

I first discovered her work when I was searching for an image of Thumbelina, when I saw her sweet one of Thumbelina hugging a tired sparrow. It is the cutest thing. 

Thumbalina

And trawling through her website I came across other images that I thought were really cool, such as the image of PJ Harvey and John Parish, who just happen to be my favourite artists.

PJ Harvey & John Parish
I would love to write children's stories one day where her images would adorn them. I find her artwork very inspiring. So pay day found me on Etsy, where she sells her artwork on mirrors and badges. Other Etsy finds I'm yet awaiting is this lovely impish-looking necklace of a squirrel eating acorns by Brass Hussy.

                 










Oh, the little things ;) Nina x x x

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I love these badges :) Went to Etsy website and found about 8,000 item with owls on:) Don't know what to choose now :P Thanx :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! they're all so adorable :)

    ReplyDelete